In honor of National Jump for Jellybeans Day - here are some facts about jelly beans!
· It takes 7 to 21 days to make a jellybean.
· In the early 20th century, a “jelly-bean” was slang for a man who dressed stylishly but was of no substance… it later became synonymous with the word “pimp.”
· Jellybeans were the first candy to be sold by weight and not by piece.
· Jellybeans are associated with Easter because of their egg-like shape. This association began in the 1930s and Easter has been peak jellybean season ever since.
· There are 16 billion jellybeans manufactured in the U.S. for Easter every year.
· Jellybeans have been to space; they were taken for astronauts to snack on while they were up there.
· Ronald Reagan ate jellybeans to help him quit smoking when he was the governor of California.
· Jelly Belly created a new flavor, blueberry, for Reagan’s inauguration.
· The first eight flavors of Jelly Belly Beans introduced in 1976 were Very Cherry, Root Beer, Cream Soda, Tangerine, Green Apple, Lemon, Licorice, and Grape.