Every once in awhile, we all just need that extra day off and break out our best fake cough in order to call in sick. While it’s important to make your excuse sound believable in order to not get caught, some people apparently didn’t get the memo. In fact, thanks to social media, more and more people are getting caught faking a sick day. One in four employers have actually gone on Twitter or other social media accounts and discovered the truth, with one in five bosses firing a worker who was caught lying.
And while lying to get a day off could be bad for your career, the more outrageous lies are certainly good for a laugh. Careerbuilder.com talked to over 2,000 hiring managers and HR professionals to find out the most outrageous excuses ever given for a day off, and some of them are just ridiculous.
The Top Ten Best, Worst Excuses:
1. Employee accidentally got on a plane.
2. Employee caught their uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
3. Employee had a gall stone they wanted to heal holistically.
4. Employee got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn't get out.
5. Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
6. Employee woke up in a good mood and didn't want to ruin it.
7. Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
8. Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood up, she fell and broke her ankle.
9. Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some "tweaking" to get it just right.
10. Employee just put a casserole in the oven.