Photo: Michael Rothschild/Shutterstock
Here are some cool facts about sharks, since Shark Week kicks off on Discovery this Sunday!
- The main reason fishermen kill sharks and take their fins is to supply the demand for shark fin soup, which many people mistakenly believe gives them sexual potency.
- Most sharks live in shallow water, close to shore, because that’s where most of the food is.
- The fastest shark is the mako, which can reach speeds up to 60 miles per hour.
- Shark meat contains dangerously high levels of mercury and other heavy metals.
- Sharks really don’t like to eat humans because we’re too bony. They’d much rather have a fat seal for dinner.