FRECKLES' PICK - WINNER
Should We Be Using Charcoal Toothpaste?
Charcoal toothpaste, like Active Wow’s Activated Coconut Charcoal Powder, claims to be a natural way to whiten teeth. It’s an alternative to those whiteners that normally contain hydrogen peroxide. And users really seem to like it - this product has over 10,000 reviews on Amazon! But just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s good for our dental hygiene.
So how does a professional feel about charcoal toothpaste? Dentist-to-the-stars Kevin B. Sands, DDS, is skeptical of the treatment.
“Charcoal in powder or in toothpaste seems to be the latest trend for an at-home whitening. However, there are risks,” he warns. “Charcoal can be abrasive and erosive, which can lead to enamel being lost and sensitivity or even yellowing of the teeth in the long run.”
Since those are definitely not the results we want from a whitening product, talk to your dentist before trying charcoal toothpaste. Sands points out that “a professional whitening done by your dentist is the safest way to go and is guaranteed to get you pearly whites.” And you don’t really want to take a chance with your teeth, so maybe sit this trend out.
Blowing Out Birthday Candles Adds So Much More Bacteria
When you blow out the candles on your next birthday cake, you might want to wish for not getting sick. Because according to a new study, all the huffing and puffing we do to get the candles out can increase the bacteria on a cake by 1,400%!
For the study, researchers at Clemson University had people chow down on pizza and then blow out candles on an iced hunk of Styrofoam. When they measured bacterial contamination, it varied a lot from person to person. “Some people blow on the cake and they don’t transfer any bacteria,” explains Professor Paul Dawson. “Whereas you have one or two people who for whatever reason … transfer a lot of bacteria.”
It turns out the blowing raises the amount of bacteria on the frosting an average of 15 times - but Dawson says one person’s saliva increased it by 120 times! And as nasty as that sounds, he doesn’t think most birthday cake eaters will actually get sick from all those germs.
“It’s not a big health concern in my perspective,” Dawson says. “In reality, if you did this 100,000 times, then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal.”
So all that candle blowing bacteria isn’t really something to worry about. But just try not to think about this the next time you watch some kid blowing out their birthday candles.
Source: New York Post
Adoption Fees Waived This Week
All pets aged six months and up have $0 adoptions from Monday, July 31 – Sunday, August 6 at the Atlanta Humane Society. (atlantahuman)
Listen and play along with You Choose The News weekdays at 6:45am