Some days the struggle of trying to deal with the reality of the world today feels like too much. Hearing all the bad news on TV and social media can make it harder to cope with our own day-to-day stuff and it’s easy to get overwhelmed. But we can’t run and hide, or escape to a protected little bubble, so we have to find a way to deal with our stress and anxiety. These are some things that could help you feel a little stronger, lighter, more hopeful and ready to face the day.
- Listen to podcasts - Find something funny, lighthearted, or informative to get lost listening to. Stay away from all newsy stuff. (You can listen to our morning show podcasts. Find them under the Jason and Kristen tab)
- Listen to music - Whatever you’re into that you can listen to loudly and escape with. (We think 94.9 The Bull is the perfect music escape )
- Cook or bake - According to a recent study, participants who did small everyday things like cooking and baking felt more enthusiastic about their pursuits the next day. So you get to distract yourself with making food and your family gets to eat - it’s a win-win!
- Count your steps - You may feel like staying curled up in bed all day, but you need to motivate and actually leave the house. So let your Fitbit inspire you to pound the pavement instead of overloading your brain with all the bad news of the day.
- Connect with nature - Head to the beach, mountains, or just take a walk around the block - whatever piece of nature you can get to and take in for a little while is better than sitting in an air conditioned building.
- Talk to people who understand - Someone out there sees things the way you do, so reach out and share your feelings and thoughts with them. Keeping it all in doesn’t help and sharing just might.