Now that your little ones are back in school, picture day is coming soon. Since we can’t be there in person to help get the perfect shot, here are some tips from photographers for getting great school pictures.
- Choose an outfit they can look good in all day long - You might have found the perfect outfit for your child to wear on picture day, but if it’s not comfortable, it’ll show. As photographer Jeanne Sager points out, “Kids in uncomfortable clothes look, well, uncomfortable in photos.” So dress your kid in fabrics they can move in instead.
- Rethink that Pinterest hairstyle - You could get lucky and your little one will have their photo snapped early in the day, but they could have to deal with that complicated hair do all day and it might not look so hot by the end. They can’t fix it themselves after jumping rope at P.E., so style accordingly.
- Skip the crazy photo backgrounds - Sanger suggests making the background selection for the photo yourself instead of letting our kid take charge. "Choose the background wisely," she says. "You don't want your child's outfit and the colors behind them to clash. If you want to go with one of the more fun backgrounds, opt for a simpler outfit."
- Use this trick to get an authentic smile out of them - Photographer Crystal Kells knows how to avoid getting that forced smile or deer-in-the headlights look in your young kid’s school pics. She says tell them when the photographer says “Smile” or “Say cheese” the child should say, “I have stinky feet!” and that works great.
- Remember, even an awful school photo is still a keeper - Relax, mama. Even if the school picture isn’t perfect, it’s still a funny memory and a family treasure.
Source: The Stir