FRECKLES' PICK - WINNER
We Really Should Be Washing Our Pillows More
You’re probably really good about washing your sheets and pillowcases regularly, but when was the last time you washed your actual pillow? If you had no idea you were supposed to be laundering that thing, you’re not alone. But you’re going to want to toss your pillow in the washer soon.
According to a new study from Dow Polyurethanes, our pillows are pretty nasty. That thing we lay our head down on every night isn’t clean just because the pillowcase is. The study finds that a third of a pillow’s weight contains dead skin, bugs, dust mites, and their droppings. And that’s after two years. Imagine how gross an older pillow is!
But not only are they gross, dirty pillows can affect our health, too. The study finds that 10% of folks and 80% of allergy sufferers are allergic to the proteins in waste and decomposed dust mites. Try not thinking of that while you’re trying to drift off tonight.
So what can we do to clean our funky pillows? Buy washable foam, down, or fiberfill pillows and wash them. Once every three to six months is best. Sure it adds to your laundry pile, but this washing is so worth it!
Woman Delivers Her Own Baby During Hurricane Irma
A pregnant woman in Miami went into labor as Hurricane Irma hit land. The paramedics were not able to be dispatched to her due to the weather conditions. The woman had to deliver her own baby as a 911 operator walked her through the steps. Both Mom and baby girl did great and were later taken to the hospital by emergency workers.
Best Fast Food Items
Everyone SAYS they don’t like chain food, but come on, they exist for a reason: it’s easy, it’s cheap – and often, it touches that “comfort food” button in a way that nothing else can.
And sure, everyone’s got their regional faves, but when it comes to national chains, Thrillist.com decided to break down what the “best” menu items at each chain are. Here you go:
- A&W: The Root Beer Float - The classic American treat is done best at A&W. It’s the perfect way to unhinge that sweet tooth after an all American meal.
- Burger King: Chicken Fries - It’s not a French fry or a chicken tender, but it’s close enough to both, which is probably why it’s a fast food favorite!
- Chick-fil-A: Chicken Sandwich - The original chicken sandwich doesn’t have newer, better replacement. Some things are just done best the first time.
- Dairy Queen: Oreo Blizzard - Soft serve ice cream is almost good enough, stand alone. But that cookies and cream combo is a simply delightful. Bliss, really.
- Five Guys: French Fries - Their burgers are not to be overlooked, but a burgers best friend are French fries and Five Guys nailed the combo.
- In-N-Out: Double-Double - In-N-Out is a real throw back to the time when fast food wasn’t just fast, it was fresh. It’s what makes it a go to place.
- KFC: Original Recipe - KFC is always coming up with new food items for their menu. But that’s not why we keep going back. The original recipe is king.
- McDonald’s: Bacon, egg & cheese - McDonald’s breakfast all day creates heavy competition with their own menu. Breakfast cravings can beckon any time of day and McDonald’s is there for you.
- Popeyes: Biscuits - Can we order fluffy biscuits with a side of chicken? These biscuits are proof that simple is sometimes best.
- White Castle: The Crave Case - Aptly named, the crave case is the only cure to such a craving. It’s fast food that may not make your body feel great after, but makes you so happy anyway.
Listen and play along with You Choose The News weekdays at 6:45am