First dates can be awkward and awful, but that’s just how dating works. Most of us get nervous and our stress levels keeps us from having a good time. So here are a few ways to shake off the nerves so you can enjoy the date, no matter how it turns out:
- Plan your outfit ahead of time - First impressions are important, so you want to look and feel good. You don’t want to be digging through your closet 10 minutes before your date trying to find the perfect outfit, so cross this off your to-do list the night before you go out.
- Define your deal-breakers - Think of your first date as window shopping, you’re just feeling things out. Thinking of your potential deal-breakers and your needs ahead of time can help you figure out what you’re looking for in a partner. And that list will help you stay focused on if your date is good enough for you instead of the other way around.
- Prepare for the worst but also the best - You never know how a first date will turn out, so go in expecting you’ll hit it off and have a lovely time, but be prepared with a plan of action in case you need an escape route. There’s nothing wrong with cutting the date short after drinks if you can totally tell that it’s going nowhere.
- Eat something that makes you feel good - If you’re already a bundle of nerves, having a growling tummy won’t help you relax. Eat some fruit or protein before your date and drink water or have a glass of wine - as long as you’re not a lightweight - and then you won’t feel like finishing off the bread basket as soon as you sit down.
- Do something you already know you enjoy - When you’re trying to ease your pre-date jitters, do something you know will relax you. If that means watching an episode of “The Office,” leave time for it. Or go for a run, or do yoga, or call your bestie - whatever works for you.
- Don’t forget that your date is probably nervous, too - You’re probably not the only one with butterflies in your stomach, so give yourself a pep talk, take a few deep breaths and remember that you got this.
Source: Elite Daily