· The cluster of bananas sold in supermarkets is a "hand" of bananas, while the individual bananas on the hand are called fingers.
· The strings that go up and down the length of bananas are called Phloem Bundles. They help distribute nutrients to every part of the growing bananas.
· The yellow bananas that are most often sold in supermarkets are sometimes called "dessert bananas" because they are soft and sweet.
· Plantains are a type of banana that are not as sweet and are usually cooked. While not as commonly eaten in North America, plantains are a dietary staple in many tropical regions.
· Worldwide, bananas are the fourth largest fruit crop.
· About 50-percent of people who are allergic to latex are often also allergic to bananas.
· India is the #1 banana producer in the world.
· The most popular banana cultivar in the world is the Cavendish. This is the banana most often seen in U.S. and European markets.