It’s going to be a CRAZY busy weekend with all of the events leading up to The 2019 SEC Championship game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.Here is everything you need to know if you’re headed downtown!
- Teams: UGA vs. LSU
- Game: The 2019 SEC Championship Game
- Location: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
- Date: THIS Saturday
- Time:4:00 PM EST
- Tickets: Officially SOLD OUT.Check secondary market to find tickets that start in the low $200’s.
- Watch: CBS
Plan ahead for traffic for the ENTIRE WEEKEND! (not just game day)
Students, alumni and fans generally will probably start arriving in town as early as Thursday. I-85 North gets you here from Louisiana and either I-20 West or I-85 South can get you here from Athens.Also remember that traffic to and from the airport should be busy, too. Wherever you're going, just count on congestion for the next few days. Give yourself PLENTY of time to get where you need to go.
MARTA is SMARTA!
Good News!There's a stop right at the stadium just outside of the CNN Center. As you know, traffic crawls throughout downtown during big events and parking is scarce (and expensive).You can definitely try to Uber or Lyft, but getting right up to The Benz is basically impossible.
WATCH AT A BAR…BUT GET THERE EARLY!
Not to overstate things, but there are a lot of UGA fans in Atlanta, and even more fanned out around the metro. If you're headed to a bar and want a seat, even an hour early probably won't cut it.
WHERE TO WATCH:
- UGA Alumni Watch Party: The official alumni watch party is happening at Sports & Social at The Battery. There's a $5 cover at the door, but it's free if you get a ticket in advance using the code "UGAALUMNI."
- The Gulch All Inclusive Tailgate: This is happening at Lot A and starts at noon and goes to 8 p.m. Tickets are $50, but include food, drinks and a spot to watch the game at the tailgate within sight of the stadium.Perfect for fans who want to be up close, but don’t have a ticket to get into the game.
- Yellow Lot Tailgate: This is the lot on Northside Drive across from the Georgia World Congress Center on Gray Street. It starts at 1 p.m., and $40 gets you in with all-you-can-drink/eat.
- Opium Watch Party: Entrance is FREE at one of Midtown's largest clubs.Party starts at 2 PM.
- Restaurant 10 Watch Party: This one is near the Benz on Northside Drive.Party starts at noon. It's $30 for open bar, $30 for buffet and $50 for all-inclusive.
- Switz Watch Party: Billed as an "indoor tailgate," this sports bar is on MLK Jr Drive near The Benz.Entry is free before 1 PM.Doors will open at noon.
- Other sports bars: Plenty of other options if you don't want an official watch party - there's Stats downtown, Hampton + Hudson in Inman Park, McCray's Tavern in Midtown, or chains like Taco Mac and Hudson Grille that dot the city and wider metro area. But again…get there EARLY!
Photos: Getty Images