Woman suffers "Broken Heart" after eating too much wasabi

According to the British Medical Journal, a 60-year-old woman mistakenly ate a scoop of wasabi the size of a teaspoon thinking it was a scoop of avocado while at a wedding reception. Soon after, she complained of chest pains but decided to stay at the wedding , The next day she said she "felt weakness and general discomfort, prompting her to seek medical evaluation."

Doctors told her she was suffering from Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, which is also known as "broken heart syndrome." It can be caused by "sudden intense emotional or physical stress," according to the journal.

Researchers said that the amount of wasabi she ate was unusually large for wasabi consumption, and this was the first known case of something like this happening,

She has since recovered.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content